If you want to get important work done in your life, you have to wake up early.
For some people this is a gut punch, but its true. Everything that is difficult to get done in our lives throughout the day can be accomplished between the hours of 3am to 8am.
Do you want to become healthy? Do you want to become a writer? Or better plan for the day?
Its real simple. Get up early.
Chaos stays up late and wakes up when it feels comfortable
Everything in your life that is a distraction wants to visit you between the hours of 8am to 3am.
Throughout the day there are gremlins that want to eat your time.
- Friends who have nothing better to do than hang out.
- Telemarketers trying to get you on the phone.
- Children full of energy and joy.
- Even beautiful spouses who love to interrupt by being so helpful.
While all fun and helpful, they’re productivity killers for long concentration work.
But what about in the evenings? Surely you can write your book in the evenings. What about….
- Friends that want you to go out in the evenings
- All those Netflix TV series you haven’t watched yet.
- Or the last few levels of that video game you like.
These will cap your day off leaving you with no time to get those important things done.
What should you be doing?
Nearly everyone fails to get done something they know they either want to get done, or what they should get done. For some reason, nearly all of these things, can be performed between the hours of 3am and 8am.
- Need to exercise to earn being healthy?
- Prepare for the day?
- Read the books that bring you life?
- Meditate on intentionally living?
- Write your own book?
- Send those needed business emails?
- Learn to fish?
I personally lost 40 lbs within 3 months of of waking up early and performing light exercise for 30-45 minutes.
I have written thousands of pages in books.
Getting up early is hard, but it earns you life.
The reason to get up early is because it provides you with a window of opportunity that is completely closed to others. If you want growth, you need to push your boundaries of comfort. Those who don’t do that, allow themselves to stay up too late, and wake up when their body feels comfortable.
This is about forming a habit of commitment. Commitment is difficult, it requires intent, and it yields you the long term rewards associated with it.
How to wake up early
Waking early is really simple to say, it just requires follow up. Here are the steps I’ve used to help get me out of bed early.
- Cultivate a burning desire to get certain things done, that aren’t getting done. (Reading, writing, exercising, etc)
- State openly the commitment to getting up early.
- Create an intentional schedule for the early morning.
- Set your alarm for 4am.
- Go to bed by 9:30pm.
- Get up out of bed immediately at 4am and walk into another room.
- Do this for at least 45 days.
Lastly, waking up early is about influence. Yourself and others.
Being able to wake up early and get done what needs to get done, makes you a leader. It makes you an influencer of yourself. In order to influence other people to be productive, you have to be productive.
If you want other people to get an urge to be healthy, you have to gain the urge to become healthy.
People need you to wake up early, so they can leave you alone while you intentionally build a life that can help them. Everyday is battle to be won and it starts with winning with yourself. If you can influence yourself, you can influence others. Remember, the world needs people who have great capacity, so they can see further and shepherd the way.